Best Bug Spray for Babies in 2018: Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
I guess you will agree with me when I say that children have one thing in common:
They love to play outdoors.
Yet, with bugs all over, from Dengue Fever and Zika Virus to Eastern Equine Encephalitis and West Nile Virus, the outdoor is highly likely the most unfriendly playing area for your bundle of joy.
Your baby gets exposed to any of these viruses, and you might just have another medical bill added to your budget list.
But with the best bug spray for babies, you can protect your kid from insect-transmitted disease while making their play outdoor fun and safe.
What is the Best Bug Spray for Babies in 2018?
Avon Soft Skin Bug Guard
Cutter All Family Mosquito Wipes
Badger Anti Bug Balm
Bug X Insect Repellent Towelette Foil Pack
California Baby Bug Repellent Spray
Quantum Buzz Away
Eco Smart 33106 Organic Insect Repellent
All Terrain Kids Herbal Insect Repellent Spray
Natrapel Repellent Wipes
Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent
Also Read: Safe and Non-Toxic Sunscreen for Babies
1. Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Insect Repellent
Instead of using DEET to repel bugs, Avon Soft Skin Bug Guard uses picaridin, an odorless and non-greasy property that protect baby skin from mosquitoes throughout the day.
The package contains 8 individually wrapped packets. And one sheet of these towelettes is enough to cover your baby’s entire body.
Unlike insect repellants that have rough, unfriendly smell, Avon Soft Bug Guard smells so good, making it a friendly product safe for your child.
Avon Skin uses picaridin because it is less irritating than DEET. And given that it is as effective as DEET-filled repellants are, Avon makes a perfect choice for babies that have sensitive skin.
What I really love about this product is that it works really well with sunscreen. If you use sunscreen for kids on your baby’s skin before taking them outside, simply wipe their skin with the wipes because the repellent doesn’t cause any skin problem.
This product isn’t suitable for families that have dogs. That’s because dogs love the smells of this repellent and tend to lick the areas of the skin where it’s applied.
- It is available in wipes as well as in spray form
- It smells good; so your baby will love it
- Gives babies full protection from mega mosquitoes all day and all night long
- One sheet is good enough for a baby’s entire body
- It’s a pocket-friendly bug repellent for babies
- Product gets all over your hands. For safety, remember to wash your hands after use
- Not suitable for families that have dogs
- You might need more than one towelette if your baby is really big
2. Cutter All Family Mosquito Spray and Wipes
Dengue, Zika, and West Vile viruses not only cause joint and muscle pains, but also lead to vomiting and prolonged headaches.
Given that these viruses are caused by mosquitoes that attack kids every day and night, it’s important to find the best bug sprays for babies that can fight them, fast.
Cutter All Family Mosquito Wipes seems to work quite well against these viruses. Featuring a cooling clean scent, this non-greasy wipe-on protection can shield your baby from annoying bug bites throughout the day.
Cutter All Family has about 7.15% DEET, a very low amount suitable for lowering exposure to bug repellant chemicals.
While the lower amount of DEET is advantageous in one way, the lower concentration has a limitation, too. It won’t last longer like bug repellent with higher amount of DEET do, hence the need for reapplication every two hours.
Despite the drawback, Cutter All Family Mosquito Wipes is always tough on bugs and very soft on skin. Whether your baby has normal or sensitive skin, this bug spray will offer the soothing protection they need to stay safe from bugs.
- The wipes come in re-sealable punch, so they won’t dry out
- Each pack has 15 wipes, enough to last long before the next purchase
- Safe even for babies as young as two months old
- Available in both wipes and spray form
- Very easy to apply
- The cooling effect and clean scent are baby-friendly
- And this bug repellent guarantees protection from biting flies, gnats, ticks, and mosquitoes.
- It does not last long
- Effective for only two hours
- You need to reapply every two hours on baby’s skin
3. Badger Anti Bug Balm
Badger Anti Bug Balm doesn’t just smell great. It’s an organic, DEET-free bug spray tested to repel stable flies and mosquitoes.
Because it is petroleum free and organic, Badger Anti Bug Balm makes the best mosquito repellent for babies and the whole family.
To get the most out of this product, we recommend you apply it on every area of the body that’s likely to be exposed to bug bites.
This bug spray has both active and inactive ingredients that give it its bug repelling power. The inactive ingredients are Beeswax and Extra Virgin Oil. And the active ingredients are Cedar, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Castor Oil, Geranium, and Citronella.
I strongly believe that Badger Anti Bug Balm is better than many mosquito repellents made for kids. That’s because it is easier to apply for full body coverage.
Some people claim that this product does not work. This may be because of the failure to apply the balm properly. So, to get the most out of this balm, make sure you apply it literally, and do not miss a spot that’s likely to be exposed to bug bites.
- Call it a stuff with a long lasting bug repellent power
- Lasts for hours, no need to reapply every half an hour, especially on a hot day
- It smells great, friendly for babies and kids
- Helps to moisturize the skin
- A byproduct of an organic essential oil with no added scent
- Works well with sunscreen lotions
- Not strong enough to repel ticks
- Has Lemongrass Essential Oils that attracts bees
- Some parents think it doesn’t smell good
4. Bug X Insect Repellent Towelette Foil Pack
Bug X Insect Repellent Towelette Foil Pack is a safe bug spray for babies because it has a 30% DEET formula that fights against Lyme and West Nile Virus.
The wipes aren’t just easy to use. They also last because a single wipe is good enough for your baby’s whole body.
Because Bug X Foil Pack has a 30% DEET concentration, you won’t have to reapply it on your baby’s skin every half an hour.
But, keep in mind that this concentration is so high that it is a downright exposure to the bug repellent chemicals.
The towelettes in Bug X Foil Pack are individually wrapped. You do get 25 wipes per package. And you do not have to carry the whole package around since a single wipe can protect your baby from bug bites throughout the day.
What we love about Bug X Foil is its repelling power. It is designed for people that prefer long-lasting repellents to those that have to be reapplied every now and then.
- A good option for travel
- Long-lasting bug repellent effect
- Easy to use
- A single wipe is enough for your baby’s whole body
- Now awful perfume
- Not good for babies with sensitive skin
- More expensive than Cutter All Family Bug Spray
- More exposure to DEET chemical
5. California Baby Bug Repellent Spray
For a non-irritating, non-toxic baby bug spray, we recommend California Baby Bug Repellent Spray. Because it uses vegetables and plant-based ingredients, this product is safe on skin and tough on bugs.
The organic citronella candle scent makes this product smell nice, thus friendly for babies. It has no added chemicals. And it is non-invasive.
Some people have claimed that the product doesn’t work, but that’s probably because they fail to apply it on a baby’s whole body.
If you want your child to get the most out of this bug spray, apply it on them literally. Make sure you don’t miss a spot, because if you do mosquitoes will find it and bite your baby.
It is okay to spray California Baby Bug Repellant directly on the skin. But I wouldn’t recommend doing so, especially if your toddler has sensitive skin.
The essential oil used in this bug repellent can cause irritation to sensitive skin. And although the irritation doesn’t happen quite often, it is best to be cautious and safe than sorry. So, spray the repellent on your baby’s clothes.
- This bug repellent uses organic, plant-based ingredients
- It is hypoallergenic and DEET-free
- Safe and gentle on baby’s skin
- No nut oils, no gluten or soy
- It doesn’t irritate the skin
- Takes a lot of time to apply
- Tiring to apply literally
- Possible bug bite if you miss a spot
6 Quantum Buzz Away
Quantum Buzz Away repels gnats and black flies quite well. It isn’t anything special because it offers only 4 hours of protection from mosquitoes and 2 hours of protection from ticks.
However, it’s the best insect repellent for gnats because it uses family friendly, botanical formula safe for small children.
Quantum Buzz Away is neither a balm nor a spray. It comes in the form of baby wipes, making them easier to use and convenient to carry around.
And while each wipe won’t offer 12-hour protection from bugs, it’s nearly as effective as the long-lasting bug repellents on the market today.
What we like about these wipes is that they are easy to apply. All you have to do is to wipe each piece on your baby’s skin.
A single wipe should be enough for a child’s whole body. Make sure you wipe even the hard-to-reach areas, including feet and behind the baby’s ears.
- This product is not greasy
- Can be used on a 6-month-old baby
- One wipe is enough for a toddler’s whole body
- The towelettes are convenient, easy to use, and fun to apply
- Difficult to dispense from the container
7. Eco Smart 33106 Organic Insect Repellent
Organic products often win men and women’s hearts for a reason: they are safe to use. And so is Eco Smart 33106 Organic Insect Repellent.
Known as a DEET-free formula with plant-based ingredients, Eco Smart 33106 Organic Insect Repellent is the most skin-friendly natural bug spray for babies. The spray repels a number of insects, including gnats, mosquitoes, and ticks.
It is important to understand that Eco Smart is hardly ever marketed as an insect repellent for babies.
But because it is 100% organic, a DEET-free product with no traces of added chemicals, it makes a perfect product for your child.
And if that doesn’t sound good enough, Eco Smart is completely non-greasy, and it does feel great on skin.
Given the nature of Eco Smart, you can apply it directly on your baby’s skin without worrying about irritation.
The problem with this baby bug spray is that it doesn’t last throughout the day. It is effective only for about 2 or 3 hours, after which you need to reapply it again.
Yet, since it is organic, Eco Smart is a good product for parents that don’t mind reapplying the spray repeatedly.
- Eco Smart does not have any harmful chemicals
- It is completely DEET-free
- 100% organic, safe for kids and babies
- By the way, it is all essential oil
- Good for kids with sensitive skin
- Some people find the smell of the spray overwhelming
- Doesn’t last throughout the day
- Reapplying this bug spray every 3 hours is downright tiring and somewhat annoying
8. All Terrain Kids Herbal Insect Repellent Spray
Did you know that with All Terrain Kids Herbal Insect Repellent Spray, you can make kids and babies’ play time outdoor fun and safe? This spray is DEET and GMO-free, safe for repelling bugs without irritating the skin.
All Terrain Herbal Spray uses peppermint, geranium, soybean, citronella, lemongrass, and cedar essential oils to protect babies against annoying bugs.
Since the ingredients used are organic, All Terrain Kids Herbal Spray is the best insect repellent for babies with sensitive skin.
In my opinion, this stuff works quite well. Apart from being easy to use, it takes only a few minutes to apply.
But if you ask me, this bug spray isn’t anything close to a perfect product. That’s because it works only for two hours, and bugs will attack if you do not reapply after the 120th minute.
To get the most out of this spray, make sure to cover all the areas of the body that are likely to get exposed to bug bites.
- It’s not just for babies. It is effective for adults, too
- All the ingredients are safe for kids
- Good and safe for babies with sensitive skin
- It is easy to apply and reapply
- The effect doesn’t last long; you have to reapply after every 2 hours
- The scent is strong. So, it might not be friendly for some kids
9. Natrapel Repellent Wipes
Dengue Fever, West Nile Virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, and Zika Virus are very dangerous insect-transmitted diseases.
But thanks to Natrapel Repellent Wipes, a DEET-free bug spray for babies and kids, your kid can enjoy the outdoor environment without worrying about insect bites.
Natrapel is the only wipe on this list that offers up to 8 hours of protection against insect bites. So, you won’t have to reapply it quite as often as you would other baby bug sprays.
The 20% picaridin concentration is strong enough to protect your baby from ticks, mosquitoes, and biting insects.
While Natrapel Repellent is a good insect repellent for infant and toddlers, there are usage rules that you must keep in mind.
First, you should not apply this product on hands of small children.
Second, you must avoid contact with wound, lips, cuts, as well as irritated skin.
And more importantly, you should not use Natrapel more than twice a day.
- A single wipe is good enough for two kids
- It is available in spray form, too
- Works well against insect-transmitted diseases
- Offers up to 8-hour maximum protection from bugs
- Cannot be used under clothing
- Not good for babies with sensitive skin
- Not suitable for very small children
10. Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent
You see, all those mosquitoes that transmit Dengue, Chikungunya, Zika, and West Nile Virus can really hurt your baby.
But all credit to Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent, you don’t have to worry about these bugs at all.
Cutter Insect Repellent contains a good amount of Lemon Eucalyptus Oil that offers maximum baby protection from bugs for up to 6 hours.
While this is a natural bug repellent spray, it is not suitable for babies under 3 months. Current studies on Lemon Eucalyptus oil only show that this product is suitable for kids over 3. And it is more effective than many DEET-based sprays for bug bites.
Although it is graded as a top rated mosquito and other insect repellent on the market, it does not protect against bugs for many hours like Natrapel Repellent Wipes.
It’s still a unique product, though, because it offers 6 hours of maximum protection from bug bites unlike many options on the market.
- It can last for up to 7 days with two babies using it
- Cutter Lemon Spray should work well even after wearing sunscreen
- Holds up well to sweat
- Effective for 6 hours
- Safe to use on you’re a kid’s face
- Not suitable for kids that swim as water will wash the spray off really fast
- Need reapplying after every 6 hours