Have you ever had a hard time opening or closing a window? Windows that are difficult to slide can be a real pain, especially if you have to go up and down ladders to get to them.
In this post, we’ll teach you how to make your windows slide easier, so you can open and close them with ease. Follow these simple tips, and you’ll be able to enjoy the fresh air without any hassle!
Reasons Why A Window Does Not Slide Smoothly
There are a few reasons why your window may not be sliding smoothly. The most common reason is that the tracks are dirty or obstructed. If you have noticed that your windows are hard to open, it is probably because the tracks are full of dirt, dust, and debris.
Another common reason for difficulty in opening or closing a window is that the weather stripping has worn down over time. Weather stripping is a sealant that helps to prevent drafts and keep pests out of your home. Over time, this sealant can become brittle and crack, which will cause your window to be difficult to open.
Fortunately, there are a few easy solutions to these problems!
Cleaning the Tracks
The first step is to clean the tracks. You can do this by vacuuming the tracks with a brush attachment or by using a damp cloth to wipe them down. If you see any stubborn dirt or grime, you can use a toothbrush or an old rag to scrub it away.
Once the tracks are clean, dry them off with a towel or a cloth.
Lubricating the Tracks
The next step is to lubricate the tracks. This will help to prevent rust and make it easier for the windows to slide open and closed. You can use WD-40, vaseline, or even soap to lubricate the tracks.
Simply apply a small amount of your chosen lubricant to a cloth and wipe it along the length of the tracks.
Replacing the Weather Stripping
If your window is still having trouble opening and closing, the weather stripping may need to be replaced. You can purchase replacement weather stripping at most hardware stores.
To replace the weather stripping, start by removing the old strips with a putty knife. Once the old strips are removed, clean the area with a cloth or brush to remove any dirt or debris.
Then, measure the length of the window and cut the new strips to size. Apply adhesive to the back of the new strips and press them into place.
Allow the adhesive to dry for 24 hours before using the window.
With these simple tips, you can make your windows slide more smoothly! Try these solutions the next time you have a difficult time opening or closing your windows.
How to Make Windows Slide Easier – 10 Easy Methods
- Use a little bit of lubricant – This is one of the simplest ways to make your windows slide more smoothly. Just add a few drops of oil, WD-40, or silicone spray to the tracks of your windows, and they should be able to glide open and shut with ease.
- Wipe down the tracks – If the tracks of your windows are dirty, they can cause the windows to stick. To clean them, just wipe them down with a damp cloth.
- Vacuum the tracks – If there’s any dirt or debris in the tracks of your windows, vacuum it out. This will help to keep the tracks clean and clear, so the windows can slide more easily.
- Use soap and water – Another way to clean the tracks of your windows is to use soap and water. Just mix up a little bit of dish soap with some warm water, and scrub the tracks clean. Rinse well afterwards, and dry with a towel.
- Add some baking soda – Baking soda is another great way to clean the tracks of your windows. Just sprinkle some baking soda onto the tracks, and scrub with a damp cloth. Rinse well afterwards, and dry with a towel.
- Use white vinegar – White vinegar is another great cleaning solution for window tracks. Just pour some vinegar onto the tracks, and scrub with a damp cloth. Rinse well afterwards, and dry with a towel.
- Try a toothbrush – If you can’t seem to get the tracks of your windows clean, try using a toothbrush. This will help to get into all of the nooks and crannies, and get the tracks nice and clean.
- Make a DIY cleaner – If you don’t have any dish soap or white vinegar on hand, you can make your own cleaning solution. Just mix together equal parts water and rubbing alcohol, and use this to clean the tracks of your windows.
- Use a hairdryer – If your windows are still having trouble sliding, try using a hairdryer. Just turn the hairdryer on to the lowest setting, and hold it up to the tracks of the window. This will help to loosen any stubborn dirt or debris.
- Call a professional – If you’ve tried all of these tips and your windows still won’t budge, it might be time to call a professional. A trained technician will be able to diagnose the problem and get your windows sliding smoothly in no time.
Do you have any other tips for making windows slide more easily? Share them with us in the comments below!
If your windows are giving you trouble, don’t despair. With a little bit of effort, you can make them slide more easily. Just follow the tips above, and you’ll be enjoying the fresh air in no time!
Also, Check how to adjust old cabinet door hinges
What can you use to make windows slide easier?
There are a few different things you can use to make windows slide more easily, including lubricant, soap and water, white vinegar, or a DIY cleaner made with equal parts water and rubbing alcohol.
How do you lubricate a sliding window?
To lubricate a sliding window, just add a few drops of oil, WD-40, or silicone spray to the tracks. This will help the windows to glide open and shut with ease.
How do you fix a sliding window that is hard to open?
If your sliding window is hard to open, try cleaning the tracks with soap and water, white vinegar, or a toothbrush. You can also try using a hairdryer to loosen any stubborn dirt or debris. If all else fails, call a professional for help.
What can I use to lubricate window tracks?
There are a few different things you can use to lubricate window tracks, including oil, WD-40, or silicone spray. Just add a few drops to the tracks, and they should be able to glide open and shut with ease.
While you may be able to fix some of the issues that are causing your windows to stick, it is always a good idea to call a professional in order to get an accurate diagnosis and repairs done correctly. If you have been having problems with your windows sliding smoothly, give us a call today. We would be happy to help!